Tuesday, May 19, 2009

End of a tradition?

Ever since Ian was about 2 years old, I engaged in a self-defense mechanism of keeping sweets in a jar. Two sweets after lunch was the 'rule'. This meant that I was not pestered for sweets while out shopping, because the children knew that they could have sweets after lunch - and they kept to the rule much to the astonishment and amazement of visiting friends! As the years have passed and they have grown up, the 'two sweets after lunch' was no longer adhered to as they would help themselves whenever they felt like it - though I must say that it has always been within reason. Now that only Paul is at home I have noticed that I hardly ever have to buy sweets anymore - the ones that are there seem to last forever. So it wasn't really a surprise when Paul said to me the other day that it was no longer necessary for me to buy sweets because he was the only one around. So the question arises: what do I do with the sweet jar when the few remaining are gone? Sure, I'll wash it - but what then? Do I turf it - or do I wait until there are grand-children?

2 comments:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

do it with the grandchildren

Unknown said...

Shu, Ian's going to be dissapointed! You'll have to take it out whenever he comes to visit! He's continually helping himself from it! =) Its Padkos for everytime he walks down the passage =)