Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Woodpigeons

They have red rings around their eyes, are almost irridescent green depending on how the sun shines on them - otherwise grey/ black, and fat - probably from eating the dog's food nextdoor. They lived in our roof for a long time. I kind of liked having them there - until their chicks learning to fly would deposit large calling cards on the washing that hung on the line near their entrance and exit places. Ned has been fixing up the guttering on that side of the house, and making it impossible for them to come in so they have found somewhere else to live (the neighbours roof!). When they left, the rats arrived and made loud stomping noises on the ceiling - but they too have been banished by the roof/ gutter maintenance. However, the pigeons are still around and there were calling cards on the washing again on Monday. And that makes me mad, because it is impossible to get the stain out. I know I have to be rational in my thinking, and admit that they are just living their lives the way they know how and not leaving calling cards on purpose to ruin my washing and make me mad - at least I hope they are not. Just like people - they carry on in their own sweet way and what they do/ say or how they live often may affect one adversely - but they too are just living life from their own perspectives and out of their own needs - and not really thinking about their effect of others - and not trying on purpose to mess up your life. At least I hope so. And of course this applies to me just as much as to everyone else. I wonder how many people think about me they way I think about the woodpigeons?! That's the thought that I will ponder for today!!

2 comments:

Wessel Bentley said...

Great food for thought! Isn't it strange that pigeons do everything as a flock? Strength and thanks for your often objective and clarifying perspective. You are an instrument of healing in the office and in our community.

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

hey B
keep writing: it clears the soul.
Pete G