Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Reduce Spending on Petrol

Our conversation at the dinner table this evening went around the impending increase in petrol which would raise the cost to >R8/L; and the exponential increase which would see petrol being >R12-R16 in about 3years time. One solution to reduce spending would be to live near the Varsity. The new flats built there go for a rent of R4000/month. So Richard reckons that it would not be worth moving into a pokey one-roomed place until he approached that figure in petrol costs - which is unlikely to happen in the years of study he has left if he continues with Honours/Masters next year. Paul is happy to continue with his pals sharing rides and so decreasing expenditure - that will go on for 5years including this year.

Another solution would be to ride a motor-cycle - a suggestion quickly shot down by one anxious father/husband because of the danger inherent in riding such vehicles. Though looking at the amount that a friend of Richard's spends per month on petrol for his motorbike (R100) to get to Varsity and back - Richard reckons that at some stage the risk is worth it economically. I tend to agree with him. My ever-loving concerned husband perhaps forgets that when he met me I was trundling around on a little red 50cc Suzuki scooter which went max. speed of 25miles per hour downhill with the wind behind me. But of course that was in the then Southern Rhodesia (even before it was called Zimbabwe-Rhodesia which then dropped the Rhodesia part), and the traffic was certainly not as dense in the late 1970s there as it is in the 2000s here now! I think he also forgets that he purloined my scooter after we were married to go to work on - all in the efforts of saving petrol, which was pretty scarce in those days. I had bought the scooter because my petrol ration when I taught in Umtali (Mutare) was 5 coupons (=25 litres) per month. With my desire to travel in the eastern districts and back and forth to family in Salisbury, I needed a way to not use much petrol so that I could 'save' it for use in my 1957 Morris Minor 1000, named Myrtle.

That scooter was also very useful for me when we lived on a large irrigation scheme in the Transkei. It was great to take little son number one around to see cows being milked, calves being fed, owls sitting on fence posts, biplane crop sprayer parked and asking to be climbed on like a jungle gym... Unfortunately, as little son number two grew bigger, I found it a bit difficult, and rather unsteady, driving down bumpy gravel farm roads, with one boy in a kanga pouch on my chest, and another one hanging on to my back from the rear seat - not all that safe!!! - so we sold her. I still hanker for her, and have vaguely considered getting one of those BMW type vehicles with protective screen/roof - but I know I never will.

After all, I wouldn't want to embarrass my sons now, would I???