Friday, November 14, 2008

Next Adventurer

Yesterday Richard began his journey to Semonkong (Lesotho) to join missionaries there and lend a hand with whatever they need him to do. He arrived this afternoon. I cannot say that I was not a bit anxious and 'motherish' as he was getting together the things he needed (like food!) and making his travel plans. But then I got to thinking: he is 23 years old. At that age I emigrated to Southern Rhodesia as the first step in my working my way around the world. My plans didn't get much further as I met Ned there and that was the end of far-away travels - we did spend 5 years in the Transkei though, leaving for Pretoria when Richard was 2 months old!
I wonder where Richard's adventures will lead him? He is planning to be in missions himself in time. The where, when and what are yet to be revealed......

Adventure is part of our ancestry - on both Ned's and my side. "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players..." Blessings on you, my son, as you spread your wings - or direct your wheels!

1 comment:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

my 22 yr old daughter graduates in December and flies to Florida (USA, not Johannisburg) in the new year. And I too worry about her - but remember that I left home @ 18 and made my own way from then on. i will pray for you and you can pray for me.