Friday, December 19, 2008

Born To Die

Grocery shopping is an obesity occupation, especially when freshly baked cakes are attractively arranged at the entrance to supermarket. Just savouring the odour as I pass adds kilograms to my frame. But sometimes it can be quite an intriguing experience - as it was a couple of weeks ago. On the first table, amongst other goodies, Christmas mince pies were on display, as one would consider usual for this time of year. However on the adjacent table were hotcross buns. I bought a pack of each as evidence, and to photograph for posterity. Here is the evidence. We did eat them!

So I suppose that this goes to prove that the theology of some must be true - Jesus was born to die. His life and resurrection pale in comparison - in fact, can be disregarded in the face of these two overwhelmingly important events. No wonder there are so many who come to services on Christmas Day and Easter, but we see neither hide nor hair of them for the rest of the year. Strange though, that its Jesus's death (symbolised in the hotcross buns) that is more important than his resurrection - there were no 'easter eggs' on sale. We don't see crowds at Good Friday services. Maybe 2009 will be different, seeing that the supermarkets are marketing his death so effectively.

Makes me wonder - if Jesus life is of so little importance, what about my life, and everyone else's lives? Why did I not die 'the hour I first believed'? Hmmmm.

No comments: