Thursday, August 6, 2009

Off to Ireland

I wonder if everyone gets anxious when they fly, or is it just me? Even though I enjoy flying, I still get anxious at the beginning of each leg of the journey. This time was no exception, expecially as we were delayed by 2 hours at Jo'burg airport and only left at 01h30 instead of 23h30 - which meant that I might have to make arrangements if I missed my connecting flight to Dublin. The weather radar was not working as it should, and neither was the air-conditioning - so we sat on the plane in the middle of the night waiting for the engineers to rectify everything - which they did fortunately. Then we were served 'dinner' at 03h00! The trip to Amsterdam was 'without hitch', and completed in 10&1/2 hours instead of 11, so on landing I had 1/2 hour to get to my next gate to immediately board the flight to Dublin - and I made it! One strange (to my mind) offer that we had during our first flight was that we were served a choice of water or ice-cream at about 08h00 - breakfast being served at 10h30!! A good introduction to the change in times that I would experience during my stay with Ian and Julz in Ireland!
Leaving Amsterdam

Arriving over Dublin

Different cultures and languages, different population densities, but from the air the habits of humanity not different - buildings to live and work in, fields to cultivate for crops and stock - the business of living is the same the world over.

No comments: