Saturday, July 26, 2008

Knee-jerk Reactions

I've had a rough week. Not too busy, but a fair component of people that have bugged me. My ire seemed to have been showing because our Youth pastor and his girl-friend asked me if they had done anything to upset me. Oh dear! My answer was no, not at all - it was just me - and my irritation and exasperation and frustration with inconsiderate, time-wasting, selfish individuals. Grrrrr! We had a good laugh together, and that helped me!

What I really take issue with is people who have other agendas, but present with something else. I received a call from some stranger (aren't they all strangers until we meet them?) who URGENTLY wanted counselling and was on his way. I had to respond that that did not suit me because I had other appointments and could only see him at 16h00. He duly arrived with the sad story that he and his family had been living without paying rent in the Schubart building that had been burnt down the other day and they were now on the street. He was obviously in a state and needed to be calmed and given a bit of practical direction concerning getting his ID replaced, and making workable plans to get back to doing some kind of work. Together we came to the conclusion that it would be best, certainly in the interim, for him to take his family to Pietersburg and maybe get back into sales (the street corner type which he had been doing until he lost his stock in the fire) up there, and his wife could also get back into some kind of income receiving activity. But of course he needed money to get back there - so I gave him what I had because the church office was long closed and such resources not attainable at that time of day.

He had been sent to me as 'the only person who could help him and counsel him' by some lady in Menlyn. I really wish that people would take the time to listen to what is really the problem and be convicted themselves to help instead of passing the buck. In a case like this counselling is of little value - it is practical help and love that is really needed. 'When will they ever learn? when will they ever learn?'!!
Augustine and I agreed that it is not the best thing to live in condemned buildings because of the dangers of unexpected disasters happening - even though so many other people resort to that. We also bemoaned the fact that so many people were moving to the main centres in the hopes of finding employment and a better life for their families - and were seriously disappointed in the lack of work and opportunity for them.

At times like this I feel so helpless and limited and just wish that I could turn stones into bread for desperate people.

1 comment:

Wessel Bentley said...

We must have a chat about Augustine. I have travelled a long road with him.