Sunday, July 6, 2008

Travel

At 04h30 this morning I left to take Allan to the airport. His flight to Cape Town left at 06h15. It only took us 30mins to get there - as opposed to the average 40mins - because there was hardly any traffic. On the way back, there was already a long line of car lights in the direction I had been travelling, but opposite to my return trip. The time was 05h50. By the time I arrived home at 06h20, I had passed two joggers, 1 man taking his dog for a walk, and a handful of people walking from bus stops towards their places of work. I was amazed at the numbers of people checking in and boarding flights. I know that people travel at 'ungodly' hours of the day, but it's only when actually seeing them there that the reality of the extent of air travel strikes home. The stupidity of the remark that the gasses burped by cattle are a major contributor to global warming strikes home at a time like this - there is no way that cattle-burp can compete with the gasses emitted directly into the strathosphere by airplanes, or with the emmissions from the traffic on our freeways as thousands of people commute to their places of work.

My gratitude was awakened at a deeper level that my trip to work takes 10-15mins on a good day, and 20-30mins on a bad day. Praise God for that, and that my contribution to global warming is limited in that regard.

No comments: