Friday, October 23, 2009

Dragging heels

It happens every now and again, but fortunately not very often. About a week ago I had a call from a mother whose daughter had had an unfortunate and traumatic experience and was experiencing sleep problems - and the mother wanted to bring the girl to me for ministry. We arranged vaguely for one day but a time was not confirmed and I ended up having to conduct a funeral that day - so the day was changed and a time set for midday today. They duly arrived, and the daughter said her mom didn't need to be present to we sat down. When I asked if she would like to talk about what had happened and how she was dealing with it, she said: 'No. I've got over it in my own way'. So, that was that - she really didn't want to be there with me! So much for mothers!
Well, as she had been brought I talked in general about trauma and 'flashbacks' that could happen unexpectedly, and the need to be 'freed' from what had happened - and she agreed that I could pray for her. I then encouraged her to pray herself for the perpetrator, to speak her mind as it were to the person, and to hand the person over to Jesus for correction and healing - which she did. And that was the end of it all.
Her mother was very surprised when we appeared afterwards as she imagined we would spend quite a long time talking.
I ask myself - was she really there against her will, and just because her mother wanted her to be there. Or had she really worked through the issue. But it is not for me to know - God is present and active in her life and all I can do is entrust her to Him. She did say that she would be sharing her testimony about this with her youth group this evening, and asked that we pray for wisdom and sensitivity and the right words and approach for her to use - which we did. I think she was showing a fair degree of maturity in this - but at the same time I am concerned that she does not believe that she has been much affected.
I pray that her youth group and leaders will be supportive and not judgemental, and that they will be there for her should she 'breakdown' emotionally. I pray too for the strength and resilience and passion of youth to make a difference in their worlds.

No comments: