Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Busyness of March

The first term of the year always seems to be hectic - no matter how hard I plan to try and keep it 'controlled' so there is an 'un-busy' feel about it. With Lent starting in the beginning of February and Easter arriving before the end of March, life was somewhat stretched on the Church front. It seems I packed in a year's worth of action in a short space of time!

1. Our SANSSA (South African National Sunday School Association) Gala took place on Sat. 1 March. I swam. Twice. For the same race!! It has been a family joke for a long time that I 'mom' have an annual swim - that lasted from the time that all the boys were water safe and competent swimmers and did not need me to be prepared for rescue mode, until my youngest went into high-school. Then it changed to a once-in-two-years swim, and rapidly to a 'once in at least five years' swim. I cannot remember when last I climbed into the pool - even though it is two steps beyond the door from our dining-room. I'm just not a water-baby - never have been. I remember when I was in Grade 2 (6 years old) hiding in the changerooms during our classes swimming lesson. When I was eventually found after about a month, and was being scolded not only by the teacher but by the principal who had come to the pool especially for this event, and was forced into the water but refused to let go of the edge - I remember thinking that if the teacher and principal wouldn't get into the water, why the hell should I - particularly as I was scared to death of being in the pool. Ah, the joys of rebellion! I did eventually conquer my fear and learn to swim when I was about 9 or 10 years old - and even took part in school galas.

Swimming twice for the same race was a bit of an embarrassment - put it down to age! I dived in at the starter-gun-shot as the first in the 'parents relay', and was putting in my greatest effort (bearing in mind that I had not swum for about 6 or 7 years), only to be stopped three-quarters of the way across because there had been a false start. Oh man - what a waste of effort. So then I said I would swim last in the relay - give me time to catch my breath - which I did. This time it was a bit harder going, and after three-quarters of the way I had to change from freestyle to breast-stroke. Needless to say, our team came last - but I finished the race. Sorry I don't have a photo to prove it - wouldn't want to freak you out anyway!!

2. We held our Confirmation Camp on the 2nd weekend in March. This year I didn't go for the whole camp, but spent the Saturday there. Last year I did the whole camp because I had not camped with young people since Ned and I were camp-parents for a Scripture Union camp 18 years previously, and I needed to know how camping is done with the current generation of teenagers. We have a very competent Youth Pastor, who runs camps more than very well, and I am confident to leave the programme, planning and training of leaders in his hands.

3. The 3rd weekend I spent at the Good Shepherd Retreat Centre near Hartebeestpoort Dam with a Ladies Weekend as the Speaker. The theme was Four Seasons - linking up seasons of the year with seasons in our life, and drawing parallels and hope from the cycles. It was a blessed weekend, with much healing, growth, fellowship, laughter, and learning new crafts.

4. With the Ladies Weekend ending on Palm Sunday, Holy Week was upon us. This year we journeyed through the 'Seven Words from the Cross' during the week. My 'slot' was the Word of Forgiveness (Father, forgive them. They do not know what they do) and the Word of Assurance (Today you will be with me in Paradise) on the Tuesday night. Wessel was responsible for the service on Wednesday night. We all took part in the Maundy Thursday service: David dealing with the last two 'words'; Wessel leading the Tenebrae; I lead the Communion; and Kyle (our Youth Pastor) joined us in distributing communion. I received a number of comments from members that it was blessing for them to have all four of us ministering to them at the same service. David conducted the Good Friday service with Wessel giving the children's message.

5. And then it was Easter. I was pleased to do the 08h00 service, and get back home with enough time to finish preparing for our family get-together which happened from lunch-time on. It was also my sister-in-law Colleen's birthday, so we had a double reason to get together and share a happy time.

6. The final weekend was spent, as shown a couple of blogs earlier, in Pietermaritzburg for Andrew's wedding.

When each weekend is taken up with significant activities, the time in the intervening weeks of preparation and planning become quite stressful. I am enjoying the quieter time now, especially as it is school holidays and many activities go into recess. It gives me breathing space to 'pull myself towards myself' and get in some advance preparation for the months ahead. Whew!!

No comments: